Akureyri Hospital has an action plan in place which focuses on improving medical staffing. The aim is to add seven permanent medical specialists by the end of 2017 and another 10 by the end of 2021. Our ways in order to reach the goals include the following:
- Periodic promotional activities for medical students in the University of Iceland and the Icelandic medical students in foreign medical schools (yearly wheel)
- Regular promotional visit for Icelandic doctors workin in Scandinavia
- Increase the number of posts for junior doctors
- Promote educational role of the hospital towards the young doctors
- Increase cooperation with the municipality, tailored to the needs of the physician and his/her family
- Promote possibilities to combine research and clinical work
The hospital will focus on evaluating and improving the above ways and if successful transfer this knowledge to other countries / other communities / other groups of employees. The hospital will also watch the progress of other participants in the project and make advantage of the ways that have brought them success.